CSR Activity Report | Environment
Workplace Environmental Considerations
At Fujifilm offices and affiliates, we make concerted efforts toward environmental considerations on production sites as priority items for the Fujifilm Group Green Policy.
- Workplaces such as development, production or lab offices handling target substances engage in periodic monitoring of Soil, ground water, wastewater and volatile organic compound emission amounts, together with improvements in management structure maintenance.
- Japanese domestic production sites continue to implement plumbing, pit, and tank surfacing, as well as other measures for early detection such as redundancies as a measure to prevent chemical substance leaks.
- Japanese domestic affiliates continue to take measures toward zero-emission workplaces. Further quality improvement of resource recycling is also underway. Overseas affiliates determine separate goals corresponding to the circumstances of their countries.
- Japanese domestic affiliates plan for suitable management of and education regarding wastewater. Furthermore, fact-finding surveys are being implemented by disposal contractors, and progress is underway on making waste management adhering to regulations sounder. Overseas affiliates are carrying out thorough enforcement of appropriate management in line with their country's circumstances.
Strengthening of Environmental Law Governance
Japan Domestic Environmental Governance
At Fujifilm, we hold environmental councils regularly attended by environment officers from all production-oriented workplaces. At these councils we share and debate about trends in environmental law and our responses to them, decisions and activity promotion checks for plans mitigating environmental impacts such as atmospheric emissions and wastewater, as well as initiatives focused on reducing environmental problems. This information is incorporated into each workplace's environmental management system, and reliable responses are confirmed.
For Japanese domestic affiliates, we explain important items of Fujifilm Group Green Policy implementation at the Green Policy Liaison Council held once a year. Furthermore, for subjects such as environmental regulation requiring specific responses, we share information through suitable documents and attempt permeation of measures through explanatory meetings and conferences as needed.
Subjects and Circumstances for PRTR Notification
Substances produced or used in Fujifilm or its Japanese affiliates exceeding one ton during the 2019 fiscal year are recorded as Japan Chemical Industry Association's PRTR investigated substances. Please refer to the link below for details.
PRTR (Pollutant Release and Transfer Register)
The name for the law established in July 1999 regarding the promotion of management improvements and understandings of emission amounts for specific chemical substances. Its goal is to improve independent chemical substance management for businesses producing and using chemicals, and prevent obstacles to environmental consideration via said chemical substances by understanding the emission amounts for chemical substances of concern. Corresponding businesses were tasked with grasping emission amounts of said substances from April 2001, and the report of said data to the government form April 2002.
Soil/Underground Water Contamination Measures
Plumbing and Tank Surfacing
In order to prevent new contamination, new plumbing and tanks will be placed above ground to make checking for and discovering leaks easier, and existing plumbing and tanks will be moved about ground, redundancy will be scheduled and updates will occur on a stable basis.
Soil/Underground Water Contamination Survey and Purification
Independent environmental survey will be performed for Soil/underground water contamination. For substances used at production sites that fall within environmental standard values, use, storage and wastewater will be strictly managed, underground water quality will be monitored periodically, and in the off chance something is discovered, it will be managed to allow for quick purification.
Please refer to "Result of Independent Surveys Focused on Production Sites" below to view the survey results.
Result of Independent Surveys Focused on Production Sites
|Workplace Name||Survey Completed||Existence of Pollution||Substance Type||Purification Method||Purification Status|
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||March 2002 complete|
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||January 2002 complete|
|Fujinomiya factory||March 2001||None|
|Yoshida-Minami factory||March 2001||None|
|Miyanodai district||March 2001||None|
|Asaka district||December 2001||None|
|Omiya district||April 2001||Yes
|VOC||Water pump processing||Purification underway|
(Factory east side)
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||Under construction|
|FUJIFILM Optics Co., Ltd.||Sano factory||November 1997||None|
|Mito factory||September 1999||None|
|Taiwa factory||October 2001||None|
|FUJIFILM Techno Products Co., Ltd.||Minamiashigara site||April 2002||None|
|Hanamaki site||June 2001||None|
FUJIFILM Digital Techno Co., Ltd.
now：FUJIFILM Optics Co.,Ltd.
|FUJIFILM Electronic Materials Co., Ltd.||Shizuoka factory||November 2001||None|
FUJIFILM Imaging Solutions Co., Ltd.
now：FUJIFILM Imaging Protec Co.,Ltd.
|Osaka office||November 2001||Yes
|Heavy metal type||Soil||April 2003 complete|
(nine in total)
FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corporation
now：FUJIFILM Wako Chemical Corporation
|Hirono factory||November 2005||None|
Purification Measures (Omiya Office)
Neighborhood Home Well Water Survey Results (November 2020 survey)
In November 2020, surveys went underway regarding well water of homes near the Fujifilm Omiya office. The results of been collected here to be reported. Furthermore, individual examination results were sent separately to the homes in which they were undertaken.
2. Survey Results
- Water sampling took place that November from the 6th to 9th, within the scope designated by Saitama city (Family wells within 200 meters south or southeast of our company's factories in Uetake city district 1, Higashioonari city district 1, and Bonsai city, as well as emergency wells in Junou city district 1).
- We have completed the survey of 74 wells targeted.
- Well water was analyzed for three substances (trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, arsenic).
- Survey results are as displayed in the table below. No wells exceeded the environmental standard values for trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, or arsenic.
|No.||Wells investigated||Wells detected||Standards exceeded||Detected concentration range (mg/L)||Environmental standard value (mg/L)|
- No major changes were found from previous survey results. We will continue with purification work in the grounds of the Fujifilm Oomiya office and investigate well water.
Inquiries regarding purification measures
Fujifilm Omiya Office
Taking enhanced regulations into account, use amount surveys will be undertaken from 2005 for products (medical equipment, printing-related equipment, etc.), Fujifilm office buildings, and facilities and devices containing asbestos. Fujifilm currently has no issues related to asbestos.
We will continue to implement self-management from the perspective of environmental consideration, and implement measures coordinated with governance.
- Products for Sale
Survey has finished for products currently on sale, and no problems were confirmed. Information regarding product asbestos is published on the Fujifilm website.
- Health Hazards and Health Consultation
No health hazards were found in current or former employees of our company. Going forward, the human resources labor branches or health management centers of each office will act as a liaison for health consultation or medical examination as needed.
- Buildings (Factories, Offices, Company Dormitories, Gymnasiums, etc.)
Surveys have been conducted conforming to current standards, and places requiring measures implemented and completed their work by May 2010.
- Manufacturing Equipment
Some manufacturing equipment use heat insulating material or sealant containing asbestos, but this usually does not spread, so it is believed to have no effect on health. Parts exchange is undertaken in a work structure following the "Work Safety Manual," maintaining safety. Furthermore, substitute article exchange tests have been completed for products containing asbestos, and new purchases after 2007 were all asbestos-free items.
- Experiment equipment (Laboratories, Technology, Quality Assurance Departments)
Each department implemented usage fact-finding surveys in May 2006. Safety administration has been implemented for corresponding equipment, and safety is maintained during equipment exchange and disposal through work structures abiding to management procedures.