At Fujifilm offices and affiliates, we make concerted efforts toward environmental considerations on production sites as priority items for the Fujifilm Group Green Policy.
- Workplaces such as development, production or lab offices handling target substances engage in periodic monitoring of Soil, ground water, wastewater and volatile organic compound emission amounts, together with improvements in management structure maintenance.
- Japanese domestic production sites continue to implement plumbing, pit, and tank surfacing, as well as other measures for early detection such as redundancies as a measure to prevent chemical substance leaks.
- Japanese domestic affiliates continue to take measures toward zero-emission workplaces. Further quality improvement of resource recycling is also underway. Overseas affiliates determine separate goals corresponding to the circumstances of their countries.
- Japanese domestic affiliates plan for suitable management of and education regarding wastewater. Furthermore, fact-finding surveys are being implemented by disposal contractors, and progress is underway on making waste management adhering to regulations sounder. Overseas affiliates are carrying out thorough enforcement of appropriate management in line with their country's circumstances.
Strengthening of Environmental Law Governance
At Fujifilm, we hold environmental councils regularly attended by environment officers from all production-oriented workplaces. At these councils we share and debate about trends in environmental law and our responses to them, decisions and activity promotion checks for plans mitigating environmental impacts such as atmospheric emissions and wastewater, as well as initiatives focused on reducing environmental problems. This information is incorporated into each workplace's environmental management system, and reliable responses are confirmed.
For Japanese domestic affiliates, we explain important items of Fujifilm Group Green Policy implementation at the Green Policy Liaison Council held once a year. Furthermore, for subjects such as environmental regulation requiring specific responses, we share information through suitable documents and attempt permeation of measures through explanatory meetings and conferences as needed.
For responses to overseas environmental regulations, Fujifilm headquarters is formulating a policy concerned the global environment to take responsibility for environmental governance. Regional headquarters supervising each region make progress in environmental activities with a structure acting as promoters of precise environmental activities suited to their regions.
At present, FUJIFILM Europe GmbH, FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation and FUJIFILM (China) Investment Co., Ltd. have established environmental management departments, and undertake environmental governance activities that develop and promote precise environmental activities suitable to their regions as regional headquarters.
Based on this structure, we have established Core Group Council composed of the Fujifilm Tokyo headquarters and regional headquarters as a place for deeper discussion into issues concerning the group as a whole. Furthermore, by having Fujifilm headquarters participate in regional environmental councils held in each area, these meetings act as a place to directly convey the latest information and deepen understanding about important issues for the Fujifilm Group Green Policy, linking to enhancement of environmental governance, common group ideals, and shared values.
Soil/Underground Water Contamination Measures
In order to prevent new contamination, new plumbing and tanks will be placed above ground to make checking for and discovering leaks easier, and existing plumbing and tanks will be moved about ground, redundancy will be scheduled and updates will occur on a stable basis.
Independent environmental survey will be performed for Soil/underground water contamination. For substances used at production sites that fall within environmental standard values, use, storage and wastewater will be strictly managed, underground water quality will be monitored periodically, and in the off chance something is discovered, it will be managed to allow for quick purification.
Please refer to "Result of Independent Surveys Focused on Production Sites" below to view the survey results.
Result of Independent Surveys Focused on Production Sites
|Workplace Name||Survey Completed||Existence of Pollution||Substance Type||Purification Method||Purification Status|
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||March 2002 completed|
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||January 2002 completed|
|Fujinomiya factory||March 2001||None|
|Yoshida-Minami factory||March 2001||None|
|Miyanodai district||March 2001||None|
|Asaka district||December 2001||None|
|Omiya district||April 2001||Yes
|VOC||Water pump processing||Purification underway|
(Factory east side)
|Heavy metal type||Soil replacement||July 2020 completed|
|FUJIFILM Optics Co., Ltd.||Sano factory||November 1997||None|
|Mito factory||September 1999||None|
|Taiwa factory||October 2001||None|
|FUJIFILM Techno Products Co., Ltd.||Minamiashigara site||April 2002||None|
|Hanamaki site||June 2001||None|
FUJIFILM Digital Techno Co., Ltd.
now：FUJIFILM Optics Co.,Ltd.
|FUJIFILM Electronic Materials Co., Ltd.||Shizuoka factory||November 2001||None|
FUJIFILM Imaging Solutions Co., Ltd.
now：FUJIFILM Imaging Protec Co.,Ltd.
|Osaka office||November 2001||Yes
|Heavy metal type||Soil||April 2003 completed|
(nine in total)
FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corporation
now：FUJIFILM Wako Chemical Corporation
|Hirono factory||November 2005||None|
Purification Measures (Omiya Office)
Present Condition of Purification Measures for Fujifilm Omiya Office Grounds
- Groundwater will be pumped up from the 11 pumping wells on the grounds of the Fujifilm Omiya Office and purified with two pieces of purification equipment. At the same time, we are making plans on the grounds for diffusion prevention. Up to now, 1006.3kg of substances in question have been recovered. (As of June 2023)
- Ground water is regularly analyzed using observation wells on the grounds to check on the progress of purification, while monitoring is maintained to prevent land subsidence or wells going dry in the area.
- Results of the aforementioned measures showed an average tetrachloroethylene concentration value of 0.0405mg/L in all grounds observation wells (As of June 2023), to the environmental standard value of 0.01 mg/L.
- Pumping measures and biological purification measures will continue onward, striving for purification and diffusion prevention.
Average PCE concentration in all wells
Neighborhood Home Well Water Survey Results (June 2023 survey)
In June 2023, surveys went underway regarding well water of homes near the Fujifilm Omiya office. The results of been collected here to be reported. Furthermore, individual examination results were sent separately to the homes in which they were undertaken.
2. Survey Results
- Water was sampled on June 1st, within the scope designated by Saitama city (Family wells within 200 meters south or southeast of our company in Uetake city district 1, Higashioonari city district 1).
- We have completed the survey of 14 wells targeted.
- Well water was analyzed for three substances (trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, arsenic).
- Survey results are as displayed in the table below. No wells exceeded the environmental standard values for trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, or arsenic.
|No.||Wells investigated||Wells detected||Standards exceeded||Detected concentration range (mg/L)||Environmental standard value (mg/L)|
- No major changes were found from previous survey results. We will continue with purification work in the grounds of the Fujifilm Oomiya office and investigate well water.
Inquiries regarding purification measures
Fujifilm Omiya Office
Taking enhanced regulations into account, use amount surveys will be undertaken from 2005 for products (medical equipment, printing-related equipment, etc.), Fujifilm office buildings, and facilities and devices containing asbestos. Fujifilm currently has no issues related to asbestos.
We will continue to implement self-management from the perspective of environmental consideration, and implement measures coordinated with governance.
- Products for Sale
Survey has finished for products currently on sale, and no problems were confirmed. Information regarding product asbestos is published on the Fujifilm website.
- Health Hazards and Health Consultation
No health hazards were found in current or former employees of our company. Going forward, the human resources labor branches or health management centers of each office will act as a liaison for health consultation or medical examination as needed.
- Buildings (Factories, Offices, Company Dormitories, Gymnasiums, etc.)
Surveys have been conducted conforming to current standards, and places requiring measures implemented and completed their work by May 2010.
- Manufacturing Equipment
Some manufacturing equipment use heat insulating material or sealant containing asbestos, but this usually does not spread, so it is believed to have no effect on health. Parts exchange is undertaken in a work structure following the "Work Safety Manual," maintaining safety. Furthermore, substitute article exchange tests have been completed for products containing asbestos, and new purchases after 2007 were all asbestos-free items.
- Experiment equipment (Laboratories, Technology, Quality Assurance Departments)
Each department implemented usage fact-finding surveys in May 2006. Safety administration has been implemented for corresponding equipment, and safety is maintained during equipment exchange and disposal through work structures abiding to management procedures.